1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a baby chick eat till 4 days?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Skitz, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I had baby chicks hatch on thursday and I was on my way to buy some chick starter but the store had a note on the door that said " sorry we are closed on: Thursday, Staurday, And Sunday" and I was wondering if I can let the chick without food till Monday? Will he die?

2. trekster78

trekster78 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm kinda new here, but i would make him some crumbled boiled eggs and some oats just to get him by. I got a shipment of chicks from MO in teh mail that took two days to get here and I gave them food right away. I'm sure other members will have other suggestions.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hard boil some eggs and feed the crumbled yolks until Monday.

4. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Some chicks dont eat until day 3 anyway and they can live off the yolk from the egg until then so u should only have to get them by for one day.

Hard boiled egg is a good idea.. or you could finely crush some corn or whatever you've got.

i hope it all goes well!.. and congrats!

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Ive used hard boiled egg yolks and cooked oatmeal for chicks in a pinch.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I gave them some hard boiled yolk and some like it but some didn't I have oatmeal I will them that and see what happens =]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine are older (about a week) and they are loudly protesting that they ran out of oatmeal. I bet yours will eat it if the others do, they tend to ignore stuff until ONE catches on and then it's fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by