Can a baby chick live in the incubator from Friday evening to Monday?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, May 21, 2010.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    My eggs in my classroom started hatching yesterday, and I have 2 chicks out of 5 viable eggs so far. This morning when I came into work I was hoping to find more had hatched overnight, but no luck. I was content with the 2 we have, until I saw another egg rockin and rolling.

I'm going to go ahead and take the 2 that hatched out this afternoon, and give them to the student who is taking them home before the weekend. I have 3 questions about the one that is still moving around:

1. If it hatches today during the school day, but doesn't finish drying off, can I go ahead and send it home wet with the student who is taking them?

2. If I leave the bator running over the weekend, and it hatches sometime tonight, will it be ok in there till Monday? (I know if it hatches Sat morning, or even as late as Sunday it'd be ok till Monday.)

3. Will moving the 2 that have hatched to the brooder run the risk of shrink wrapping the one still hatching? I hear some people on here say not to open the bator period, and some people talk about moving older chicks to the brooder all the time. I am confused.

Unforunately, I cannot take the chick home for the weekend or come up to check on it, as I am going out of town for a wedding this weekend. I hate to just cull it b/c of timing and weekend issues.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would have a small cup of warm water ready to add just a little to the bator when you take the two out.. I have had chicks in the bator for close to 72 hours before as it was a staggered hatch... I would think they would be fine .. uiwouldnt allow a wet chick home with a student as it would get way to cold just on the ride home..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by