Can a baby chick recover from aspergillosis?

sumozilla

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Hi all, I have recently hatched 9 chicks about 5 days ago. However, one of the chicks, who was hatched a day later than the others began to have symptoms associated with aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia. The chick was gasping for air, fatigued, and barely ate or drank. No other chicks displayed any symptoms, and I believed that the hemp bedding was the culprit, so I removed it and disinfected the brooder. To treat the chick, I decided to give it garlic water, with sugar and vitamins mixed in it yesterday. Yesterday, I was certain it wasn't going to make it through the night but today, it seemed to be doing better than last night. It was eating, and it seemed to have a bit more energy. So I was wondering if it is possible for a very young chick to recover from aspergillosis, and what long term effects it may have on them?
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Aspergillosis is pretty deadly to young chicks, but chicks can survive if given a lot of supportive care. Aspergillosis is chronic though, but not contagious. The spores can remain dormant until stress.

Hi all, I have recently hatched 9 chicks about 5 days ago. However, one of the chicks, who was hatched a day later than the others began to have symptoms associated with aspergillosis or brooder pneumonia. The chick was gasping for air, fatigued, and barely ate or drank. No other chicks displayed any symptoms, and I believed that the hemp bedding was the culprit, so I removed it and disinfected the brooder. To treat the chick, I decided to give it garlic water, with sugar and vitamins mixed in it yesterday. Yesterday, I was certain it wasn't going to make it through the night but today, it seemed to be doing better than last night. It was eating, and it seemed to have a bit more energy. So I was wondering if it is possible for a very young chick to recover from aspergillosis, and what long term effects it may have on them?
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
I have a same exact situation with a baby chick currently. Have been giving garlic and sugar water with probiotics also through a syringe and feeding separate as the others are stronger and push her out of the way. Did yours recover fully and is thriving?

Back
Top Bottom