Can a baby survive alone?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sinistershelly, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I have 9 12 week old BR's. A couple weeks ago I bought 6 lil one week old babys of all breeds. Yesterday my STUPID DOG dug into the run during their play time while I was inside dealing with kids and killed 5 of them. Now I just have one lil chickadee, all alone. I have her inside now, no more play time, Im too scared, STUPID DOG [​IMG][​IMG]
    When I brought her in, she cried and cried. I stuck a stuffed animal in her box with her and it seems to have calmed her down and she even slept in its lap last night. Thats where she spends about 98% of her time, on that stuffed pooh bear. I doubt I can just put her in with the 12 week olds without a grouchy roo taking her out. Will she be ok by herself, or should I go to the feed store and try again for a couple of mates? I feel so bad for this lil baby.

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    She could. She will survive, most likely. The kindest thing, IMO, is to get some more chickies for her.

We have been through this. A horrible hatch, a string of bad luck and we only had one lone chick left. We tried for a few days, but all she did was chirp for someone... anyone.... Ok when I was home to hold her, not great 99% of the time. She would cuddle with a stuffed teddy and then wander around peeping. My heart broke for the wee one, so I asked around and got her some buddies. She grew up to be a lovely hen and is producing wonderfully for me. [​IMG]

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I raised a lone baby chick when I was a dumb teenager, bought it at the county fair and raised it in a hamster cage. [​IMG] Mama made me get rid of him when the crowing started, and I gave him to a local family that had a flock, he settled right in. I miss that little bugger, we were pals, but he did seem to need me there with him a lot, got where he slept in bed with me. When I left I would leave the radio on for him and leave a warm water bottle in his cage for him to cuddle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by