Can A Bantam Cochin Hatch Serama Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BookWorm243, Jan 10, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hi everyone,
    I was wanting to know if a bantam cochin could hatch some serama eggs or if a bantam cochin would be to big.

Thanks

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    they can hatch them. just not very many eggs

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    yes they can, but a game hen would be better, especially if your cochin is a very good mama hen

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:umm, Serama eggs are very small, the problem is not how many they under the hen its will she be to big and break them, Serama are weighed by oz not lb, i have a 4oz hen

5. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks,
    I was worried about that. In my area there are no game hens or silkies and I just found someone with bantam cochins. Should I just wait for a game hen?

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:umm, Serama eggs are very small, the problem is not how many they under the hen its will she be to big and break them, Serama are weighed by oz not lb, i have a 4oz hen

Yup, I agree. Not only will the eggs be in peril, but the chicks as well. I had a little Spanish Game hen that hatched some quail eggs. She made it through the hatching part, then stepped on some of them and crushed them before I noticed. Then I had to do a hurry up brooder. Good luck..........Pop

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:I'd wait for a game hen, or a serama hen mine are broody all the time, doesn't matter what time of the year [​IMG]

8. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have 2 silkies that hatch out my serama eggs. The most I've put under one was 7 eggs. They all hatched. [​IMG]

9. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks everyone I just found a breeding pair of seramas for sale that I am going to get [​IMG]

Thanks for the help everyone !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by