Can a bantam Rooster breed with a heavy breed and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenphile, Jun 25, 2008.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Excuse my ignorance but we always had hens.[​IMG] We have a couple of bantams and are unsure of their sex. Was wondering if one of them is a rooster can he mate successfully with a heavy breed?(australop or Buff orph) and what would the outcome be a bantam? I plan on getting a Standard breed rooster eventually but was just curious.

thanks
    Chris

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I'm not sure. But i think it can happen, it would be hard for him if you know what i meen. [​IMG]
    Good luck.
    And, i think you should stick with the (Get another heavy roo breed idea)
    Just a suggestion.

3. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I've seen it happen... the roosters just grab hold and stay on until the hen falls over. It's kind of like watching bareback hen riding [​IMG] I'm sure the heavier roosters can catch the banatam hens too I don't know how squished she would get though. I know the egg size is determined by the hen but I don't know how big the offspring would grow... it's a good question.

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I can testify that they can get the job done! I have had Japanese Bantams roosters mate with Barred Rock hens and
    the babies are gorgeous ! They are usually a medium sized chicken. Bantams are especially fertile little creatures !![​IMG][​IMG]

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    When I had my banty roo, he successfully mated with my standard hens, and even though he is no longer with us, he has two babies that are about four weeks old now.

eta, I now have aRIR roo, who has successfullymated with my standards and bantams, one of whom is sitting on 6 eggs, due to hatch soon.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:This is funny!! Do you have any pictures of the outcome.. the babies? I'd love to see them, as both Dad and Mommies are some of my favorite breeds (if only I had more space!)

Thanks!

7. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Anyone know about a silkie bantam rooster and a standard hen?
    We just found out our silkie is infact a male.
    I have a mix of hens- Barred Rock, Americauna, Wyandottes, and RIR.
    Also, how can you tell if an egg is fertilized?
    I'm wondering if the chicks would have feathers like the silkie or like the mom?

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, Silkies can certainly mate with standard girls! If you look thru my photo album, one of the first pics is a rooster I used to have. He was a mix of Buff Orpington and Buff Silkie. He was a great guy. I *believe* Silkied feathers are recessive, which means the offspring would need to copies of the gene to be Silkied. You wouldn't get that crossing to a regular feathered bird- unless that bird has a hidden gene. To tell if an egg is fertile, look for a faint white bullseye on the yolk. If its infertile, there wills just be a dot :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by