Can a bantam rooster cover a large fowl hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoupGarou, May 10, 2011.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Or vice versa? I have a bunch of regular-sized EEs, none of which appear to be roosters (although I'm pulling for one, who seems to want to be). Through a chain of events, I hatched out a single chick from a dozen bantam Ameraucana eggs (the real deal). If that chick turns out to be a rooster, can I put it in with the full-sized EEs (introducing it properly, of course) and get fertile eggs? If it's a pullet and the other EE turns out to be a rooster, would it be safe to let him breed her? I do plan to get more bantam Ameraucana eggs next month, but if I can't I'd like to try to improve my EE egg color when the time comes.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have heard that they can fertilize large fowl hens.

3. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks, Pinky! Anyone else care to weigh in? Is it a safe thing to do?

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    My bantam rooster is a hit and miss. I just think he's too small to really "do the deed" with my LF girls.

5. chinadollgreen

chinadollgreen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Phil Campbell Ala
    I have a Bantam Sultan that fertilized the eggs of my Easter Eggers and the chicks are adorable.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yes they can and in both directions. I have eogb naked necks lol and oeglf naked necks too. Figured out I cant house them together for sure [​IMG]

7. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I know it is more physically easy for a heavy rooster on a hen, however dangerous due to the risk of busting her eggs while on top of her.

It is alot more difficult for a Bantam Roo because the distance between the vents is far apart.

8. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:oegb nn soundcute you have pics?

alot depends sometimes bantam roos are good with lf . i use to have an oegb roo mate a big rhode island red hen . having older hens with a young spunky roo helps. the older hens will squat and hold still for roo sometimes. or the hen will take roo for piggy back ride too cute cant help but laugh. plus the roos wont ruff up the hens as much that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by