Can a bantam rooster cover a large fowl hen?

LoupGarou

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Or vice versa? I have a bunch of regular-sized EEs, none of which appear to be roosters (although I'm pulling for one, who seems to want to be). Through a chain of events, I hatched out a single chick from a dozen bantam Ameraucana eggs (the real deal). If that chick turns out to be a rooster, can I put it in with the full-sized EEs (introducing it properly, of course) and get fertile eggs? If it's a pullet and the other EE turns out to be a rooster, would it be safe to let him breed her? I do plan to get more bantam Ameraucana eggs next month, but if I can't I'd like to try to improve my EE egg color when the time comes.

Yes they can and in both directions. I have eogb naked necks lol and oeglf naked necks too. Figured out I cant house them together for sure
barnie.gif

I know it is more physically easy for a heavy rooster on a hen, however dangerous due to the risk of busting her eggs while on top of her.

It is alot more difficult for a Bantam Roo because the distance between the vents is far apart.

Quote:
oegb nn soundcute you have pics?

alot depends sometimes bantam roos are good with lf . i use to have an oegb roo mate a big rhode island red hen . having older hens with a young spunky roo helps. the older hens will squat and hold still for roo sometimes. or the hen will take roo for piggy back ride too cute cant help but laugh. plus the roos wont ruff up the hens as much that way.

Back
Top Bottom