can a banty roo really breed with the big girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickengirlnm, Oct 6, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I have a little banty roo - who is the funniest little guy I have ever seen and was wondering can he breed with my standard size girls? i would love to have babies this spring - but i really dont want to have to get a bigger roo for my girls -i dont want to give up my little banty boy.
    has anyone had a mix like this-
    black dutch banty/BO
    black dutch banty/siler laced cochin
    " "/light brahma
    " "/ americana

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I've heard it's possible.. I'm interested to hear what everyone says, too! I have a d'Anvers roo (both pounds of him), and some jumbo sized ladies, and It would be an interesting cross, to say the least! But.. I have a hard time believing they could get the deed done... although I've heard of weirder mixes in dogs!

-Meghan

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    My banty Frank has tons of fun with the big girls but he can't hit the mark. Poor guy jumps their back but slides off the front, over their heads. Kinda looks like that monkey riding a horse at the circus.
    I read somewhere recently that artifical insemination is done on some seabrights, maybe that is your option if you want a cross.

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have a little silkie roo that is obsessed with one of my cochin hens.
    I've seen him try her twice. She throws him off and and beats him all over the yard. Sill he'll try again when the big roo isn't around.

5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have what I think is a silkie/cochin rooster and he can breed with one of my black minorcas. She is a little bigger than him but I still get fertilized eggs. I know my big EE doesn't breed with her because she hates him.

6. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have a EE bantam that loves the big girls on the other side of the fence. He preens them and they seem to like him too. So the other day i took him in there to visit and i thought they were going to kill him . (so did he) I felt so bad for him. So i dont think its happening around my mini-city-farm.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Not to get too graphic...
    But as long as he can reach it is possible. [​IMG]

9. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well i will keep my fingers crossed that Clyde will get some loving this spring - and if he never --well you know -- I guess I will be babyless other than the one hen that is a banty. I dont want to get a " full " roo because I would be afraid that it would grow up and beat up my poor little Clyde.
    I will keep hoping for babies. [​IMG]

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I can always tell the big hens our Barred Cochin roo likes, cause they're bald, where he pulls out all their head feathers trying to hang on! He's never been a dad, but has fun trying. But by the way, we have a Banty roo running with our standard size roos, and they get along ok; they don't fight. And we don't have the recommended number of hens per roo, either...they still all get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by