Can a Barred Rock Chick "Fly"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swampducks, May 23, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I swear I just saw my 3-4 day old barred rock chick flap his little wings and sail right across the feed tray. Probably a 6 inch long flight a couple inches off the ground. It's possible his little feed helped propel him across the tray but from above it was hard to tell.

So, how soon can these guys escape their box?

:eek:

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine were flying out of the brooder between 1 and 2 weeks old! I'm certain you saw right. These little fuzz butts can starting moving it very early! It seems as soon as those wing feathers start showing, even just a little, they are off! [​IMG]

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Oh yes they can! They love it too.

4. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Mine did when they were small, but don't now.

5. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    One of my two an a half week old barred rocks managed to flap to the top of the brooder and then fly a good fifteen feel across the living room. Surprised the heck out of our sleeping beagle when a flapping ball of feathers landed a foot from his nose. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    yes. My chicks could fly out of the 2 foot tall brooder at 2 weeks. They could also fly across the brooder at 3 days. My pheasant chicks could fly when they were one day old.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Depends on how you define "flying."

At that age they will make some impressive, sporting leaps, which inlude much wing flapping. I'd be reluctant to call it flying, but it certainly is training for the real thing.

8. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    These baby's sure can fly! When I checked in in them last night I did a head count. 1.2.3.....10. I counted again, 10. I am supposed to have 11! I hear peeping but don't see anyone. My 5 day BA must have tried roosting on the edge of the feeder and fell in! poor thing couldn't get back out!.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had mine for two days now which makes them about 4 old and the first one I noticed trying to fly was the barred rock. She was also the first to sit on the perches.

10. akanalynnn

akanalynnn Out Of The Brooder

My 3 week old BR spends her days perched on the edge of her brooder, which is on a counter 4 feet off the ground. She just sits there, doesn't really go anywhere else. Its funny. She just got relocated to a taller box though. I'm sure she'll miss her perch. [​IMG]
    This is her last week. Just got a new camera, so I'm a little pic happy [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by