Can a bird molt before she even starts laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thomaschickens, Sep 14, 2012.

1. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    So I have a RIR pullet that is 32 weeks old and has not laid a single egg yet. While I was out sitting with the girls today I noticed that it looks likke she's molting already because a few of her tail feathers are missing and she's looking a bit scraggly. I watched for quite a while to see if she's being picked on, but it doens't appear that she's getting bullied. So can she be molting at 6 months old without ever laying an egg yet? At this rate she better lay all winter long LOL.

2. Chicken Tamer

Chicken Tamer Overrun With Chickens

Jul 10, 2012
    On The Couch (-:P
    She might be I think they can. But 6 months sounds pretty young. Oh and this is a weird q but were u at the clakamas fair this summer???

3. thomaschickens

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Wasn't me. I didn't have time to go to any fairs this summer [​IMG] I'm actually going to my first poultry swap at the end of the month in Corvallis, Oregon and I am EXCITED!!!

4. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I was wondering the same thing, my RIR is 23 weeks and isn't laying and has lost her black tail feathers. I read on a thread that they can have a juvenile molt. I think this is bad timing for hens to come into point of lay with seasons changing. You'd really think a RIR would be laying but 3o something weeks though. It must be a juvenile molt as that can take up to a few months I believe. Extra protein helps them grow feathers back so they can lay sooner. Good luck!

5. thomaschickens

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    35 weeks old and still NO EGGS!!! Although I think she may FINALLY be getting close as her comb reddened recently...still no squatting and you can tell by the vent she's not laying yet. I really thought the RIR would have been one of the first layers, but she is the very last LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by