1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a brand new chick be put in with 2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pattersonflock, Apr 15, 2014.

1. pattersonflock

pattersonflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Very sadly this morning we lost one of our 3 new chicks :( missing her dearly, but am thinking ahead now. We want to have 3 laying hens, so this Friday when the local store gets in a new batch of chicks, we'd like to pick one up. My question is: can we put the new chick in the same box with 2 one-week-old chicks?

I know heat might be an issue, but we have a big enough box and angled heat lamp so there's a decent temperature variance that would allow for some self-regulation. Anything else to be aware of?

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Most of the time at that age there isn't any problem combining chicks. Occasionally the others won't accept it and will pick on it.

3. QueenCleo

QueenCleo Out Of The Brooder

I am so sorry for your loss I lost all my chickens last year and I am only a teenager so it was very tragic. I have heard that if you spray the new chick and the others with the same perfume and equally pet them they should get along fine:)

4. pattersonflock

Apr 13, 2014
    Great! I figure one week probably isn't too much difference.

I was wondering if I should get 2 new chicks so she had a buddy. But I don't know if our coop/lives can support 4 hens. But maybe once you have 3, another one isn't too much more work?

5. pattersonflock

Apr 13, 2014
    Aww! That's so sad, I'm so sorry! These darn little birds are so sweet and lovable, it's devastating! The other two hate it when I try to pet them up anyway :( so that shouldn't be an issue ;) I'm hoping they start liking me more when they can eat treats and they start associating me with that!

6. nursefarfar

nursefarfar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    We mixed 4 week olds with 2 week olds and the 2 week olds lost their minds. Ran around freaking out. Brooder was big so we put a divider in between them with scraps of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. This way they were separate but could still see each other and get used to each other in preparation for when they will all go outside together.

7. QueenCleo

Clever

8. QueenCleo

Thank you I love my flock though this year I have new chicks 2 days old:D

9. QueenCleo

The birds like millet and they can eat that at a day old you should try some. Just put some on your hand and stick it in if one of them starts to like it they all will like it. I give it to them before bed so if it expand in their stomach (because it is used as a cereal) they won't wake up as much during the night to eat.

10. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I got a batch of day old chicks yesterday, and due to a sudden temperature drop that day, I brought the 3 week old chicks into the broiler coop, so I would have 2 heat lamps for them, they are getting along very well.

Of course I have more chicks, 12 - 3 week olds and 61 - 2 day olds, I was worried at first, as the day olds literally buried the larger ones at first. but one of the lamps burnt out last night, so it was a good thing, or I may have lost my broilers, as it is all are well.

keep an eye on them, to be sure, but it should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by