Can a Broody Australorp look after two chicks of different breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeGardenChicken, Feb 4, 2017.

1. LeGardenChicken

LeGardenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    Hi there, Can my Broody Australorp look after two Barred Rock Chicks or any mixed breed for that matter? Thanks in Advance!

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well I don't think she can tell the breed of the chicks, so as long as she thinks they're hers it shouldn't matter. What I meant by that is, that if she hatched them, she'll be fine. I don't have experience with putting incubator hatched chicks under a broody hen.

3. LeGardenChicken

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    Ok but, I'm going to her two week old chicks

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That age might not work. Most hens would probably not accept 2 week old. For a successful introduction, the chicks should be one or two days old. A lot depends on the hen. Is this your hen's first time being broody?

Do you have a backup plan if this doesn't work?

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I think you need to be very careful and have a back up plan because there is a good chance she will not accept them and if they have been reared with a heat lamp, they may not accept her either as they will have learned that light equals heat and the darkness of being under a broody may even be scary for them. How long has she been broody? If she has only been broody less than a couple of weeks there is more chance of rejection. It might be better if you can put her near the brooder that the chicks are in for a couple of days so that she can get used to hearing them and see if she starts to talk back to them and then try introducing them, but you need to monitor very closely when you do introduce them as it could end in disaster.

6. LeGardenChicken

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    We do have a back up plan but what I meant was I'm getting two one week old chicks

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Even one week old is pushing it. Make sure you supervise closely especially in the beginning. Is this your hen's first time being broody? How long has she been broody?

8. LeGardenChicken

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    First time, but were going to wait untill 21 days of her being broody

9. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    You could wait 19-20 days so the chicks are a little younger when introduced. Being a first time broody, it is very unpredictable. Make sure you watch them very closely especially the first couple days.

10. LeGardenChicken

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    Ok thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by