Can a broody duck hatch a chicken egg?

maus

Songster
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Florida
My Pekin has actually become broody and is sitting on her eggs. One of my chickens apparently laid an egg in the ducks box, and she adopted it. I left it there. What are the chances it will hatch ?

I think it should be able to hatch as long as the required sit time is allowed, and that it is a fertile egg. Let us know!!

I have a muscovy duck that just hatched a chicken! I don't know what she will do, leave with it in time to feed it or what, but I was considering taking it and putting it in the brooder, but what if she leaves her eggs?? THEN i was considering taking the eggs and putting them in the incubator, but then remembered that 2 days ago I had filled the entire thing with quail eggs! There are fertile duck eggs in there, along with the chick, I might just provide food and water and hope for the best, as she is behind a bunch of heavy doors in my husband's shop, and is sort of at the mercy of nature... the duck would never go in the coop with the chickens at night, so we let her roost in the trees, until this. I'm stumped as to the logic of what to do. The chick needs to eat tomarrow!! :eek:

I didn't know Pekin's went broody. That's really cool. from what I heard, because they are bred for meat, they normally don't have that trait. Still nonetheless awesome!

Through my years of ducks and hens going broody, the hen can accept the ducklings (upsets her when they play in the water dish) yet the duck will grab her baby (chick) to make it swim. Good luck, hope it works out!

Yes, the 10 day extra span the duck eggs take to hatch is way too much for the chikn baby, much less the less resilience of the chick than the duck, and luckily for him/her, we don't have a swim bucket out because of the chickens...the duck flies to a pond behind our house, usually for that. If I still hear it tonight, I"ll steal it, hopefully. Oh gawd, not another house chikn! Nobody else is on eggs!! (its ok)
roll.png

chikngard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom