Can a broody hen care for a three week old chick that is not hers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maggiegigs, May 11, 2011.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I have a broody orpington who is sitting on her nest (no eggs) for the good part of the entire day. I also rescued a 3 week old chick (Easter chick) and was wondering if my hen will care for her.[​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    The question is not can but will she?
    If she has only been sitting a day proubly not.
    The age of the chick is proubly to old as well.
    There could be a slim chance but why chance it?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some broodies will mother anything, so there is a chance she would take it. But I agree, the chance is very slim. Even it it were a day old chick, with her just settling in, I'd think the odds are pretty slim. Heck, I don't give a broody eggs until she spends two consecutive nights on the nest to prove she is serious about going broody. I've got an Australorp right now that walks around fluffed up and making that puk puk broody sounds, yet she lays an egg almost every day ands spends her nights on the roost. She's been doing this for about a month.

If you want, you can put the chick in a wire box or cage near her and see how she reacts and base your next step off of that. I would not risk the chick around her without some protection. I think the odds of it ending in disaster are really high if she can get to the chick.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this depends on the chick. Will it refuse to love a hen for mommy? Has it bonded with human hands so completely that it thinks it is a human?[​IMG] My 3-month pullet is suffering from an identity crisis like this.[​IMG]

5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I tried to do that last week with my one and only chick.. the broody was sitting on her egg for about 19 days already.. she hissed and pecked at the poor little baby. The baby chick is now in the coop during the day and in the house at night. Doing very well I may say.. she did not want to come in the house tonight but it was nmuch to cold for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by