Can a Broody Hen Go An Extra Week?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Glitterik, May 18, 2010.

1. Glitterik

Glitterik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    My Turken, Pauladeen, was sitting on Rhode Island Red eggs. All was well until she got confused and returned to sit on the decoy eggs and let the real ones go cold. I added a few more eggs to the clutch and she continued to sit on them. If they all turn out to be dead (the cold ones plus the good ones I added later), can I put more eggs in the nest for Pauladeen that are due to hatch 7 days after her probably dead clutch was due? Or will her instincts tell her that 23 days is her broody limit?

I really would like to switch the eggs out asap if there's a chance Pauladeen won't notice but will likely continue to sit a week beyond day 23.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    As long as you pull her off the nest at least once a day to eat/drink/POOP, she should be ok...

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I can't say for sure what your hen will do, but I can tell you my Silkie girls have sat on a nest for up to 8 weeks. It was not by my choice or encouragement....they just refused to stop setting! It's very worrisome because their health does decline; but they're all alive and well and went on to brood another day.

4. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    It really depends on the hen. I have one broody that will not come off a nest till she hears peeping. And I have had some that will come off and not hatch anything. How long were the eggs cold? They may still be good.

5. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    I hope it works for you! I got the same kinda sitch with my broody. our eggs aren't fertile & she'd been going a week by the time i got the mailorder hatching eggs under her. Tomorrow @ 4am is the end of day 10 & she's holding steady. Yay!

6. Glitterik

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    OMG! You chicken folks are the BEST. Such a quick response, and I was so worried ...

I have been giving Pauladeen an occasional broccoli head, tomato or ear of corn right there in her nest box. I'll switch the eggs out this weekend (actually, just add eggs to her clutch) and hope for the best. Seems like a few of the RIR eggs were sloshy inside (non-fertilized?) so I can toss those. The solid, heavy ones may have chicks and the white RIRs I added later may still hatch.

I've bought too many eggs (is there such a thing???) so I'm really juggling. I'm waiting on 20 Showgirls (all colors), red and buff turkens, White Marans and whatever RIRs may have survived. And show pen Ameracauna eggs are coming next month.

7. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Wow. That does seem like a lot of eggs! This is my first hatching experience though, so what do i know? LOL My austrolorp is barely covering the 11 we have under her - all Light Sussex. I'll candle tomorrow & get rid of the quitters, etc., so that ought to help, I guess. A few days ago, 6 looked good for sure, 2 not so hot, the others were mysteries... Do you have a bator too? How fun that would be, to compare results, etc. & have backup in case hen decides to quit! I'd like some Showgirls too! Maybe next year...[​IMG]

8. Glitterik

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    I can't wait to see the little showgirls. I decided on showgirls rather than silkies because although they go broody too, they don't go broody as frequently and they lay more eggs. Plus, they're just so darned cute, right?

9. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    One of my hens sat on eggs for about 30 days, nothing hatched. She broke one open, nothing was developed at all, then quit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by