Can a Broody Hen Hatch Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OreoPlymothRock, Jan 17, 2013.

1. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Hi, I recently seen my girl duck and boy duck mating. Does that mean the eggs she is laying are fertile. If so, then can i take the eggs and put them under a broody hen. The hen is a bantam.Thanks

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Most likely the eggs will be fertile, as long as the pair are fertile. You can put them under a chicken but you usually will need to sprinkle the eggs with water every day as they require higher humidity that they will not get from a chicken.

3. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    How often do i sprinkle water on the eggs?

4. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    i just sprinkled water on the eggs.

5. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    what do you mean by the pair are fertile? Thank you for your help!

6. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The parents both need to be fertile if they are to produce offspring. What breeds are they?

You can check the eggs to see if they are fertile. An unfertilized egg will have a white spot, a fertile egg will have a bullseye on it.

7. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    They are both Magpie Ducks. The type of duck that is white with black splotches on the head and back. what do you mean by both of them being fertile. How far into incubation does it have to be in order to candle them? Thank you for your help again!

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay. Wanted to make sure they weren't muscovy or muscovy crosses. I actually meant sterile not infertile in the adults (sorry).

Candling is done at 7 days, I think, I don't candle. Search for candling and you'll find some good threads with pics. But you can just break open an egg and see if it has the bullseye. If it does, they are fertile. There are also threads showing this.

9. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    If the eggs are fertile you should be able to candle and see blood vessels at 8-9 days. Keep in mind that if they are your ducks first eggs, there is less chance of a hatch.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. OreoPlymothRock

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    i'm sorry, but what do you mean by sterile? and when i break open the egg, do i kill the baby inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by