1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a broody hen hatch in winter in Ohio, in the cold of January?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loveoursilkies, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    One of my silkie chickens decided to go broody. The coop is nice and out of the elements, but is this possible? She will not get off the nest. There can't be but a few eggs under her, as we collect eggs daily to eat. I tried to get them yesterday, she didn't want to move. I left her thinking I'd get the eggs today, but, my daughter went out to collect and she doesn't want to move. Is this crazy, or should we push her out of the way to forget about it. I have 3 little chicks we just hatched inside, in an incubator (our first ones), but we certainly welcome more as we want more to choose from for 4H this year. Actually, another hen is in the box with her (an Aracauna), so it is possible they are not all her eggs. My husband only built 1 box, and all of our hens share it - I know, I need more boxes, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks for any advice. I'm thinking if she gets off the nest to eat, it will be way too cold out there.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you are going to let her hatch eggs you'll have to get more nest boxes for them. Otherwise the other hens will bother her all the time and may break her eggs. If you don't want her to hatch eggs you can break her broodiness by placing her in a wire cage with only food and water for a few days.

I've had hens hatch eggs in the middle of winter and raise their chicks outside. They had no problem keeping the babies warm. If you do decide to let her hatch some chicks for you just make sure she has a warm, dry place for her and them. You can hang a heat lamp if it's really cold, she will enjoy that and it'll help the chicks stay warm when they start wandering around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by