Can a broody hen mess up the laying cycles of the others?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stynch, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Stynch

Stynch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    One of my Leghorn mutts just went big-time broody. And now the other two layers are all off-cycle. The minute they lay, she takes over the nest and gets downright mean and nasty when I try to move her to retrieve the eggs. Now, the other two (who always have laid 6-7 eggs per week) are slacking off. We are going to build a broody jail tomorrow. But, I was wondering if her behavior was affecting the other birds or if it's coincidence. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Only if she's stressing them. If their routine hasn't changed, ovulation will continue.

3. Stynch

Nov 7, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    She's been pretty nasty to them, too, so we'll have to wait it out!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be the broody is in a favorite nest?
    How many hens how many nests?
    Other hens might be laying somewhere else if they free range?

Will be interesting to see what happens once you get broody into seclusion.
    Are you going to let her brood or break her?

5. Stynch

Nov 7, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    We have 2 nests for 4 birds, only 3 of which are laying (I won't even get into our 10-month-old freeloading EE - LOL). The broody favors the left nest and the other two favor the right. But, once they have laid in the right nest, she had no problem brooding in there!!

Our set-up is such that they can't hide eggs. We have a fully secure run/coop which connects to a semi-secure daytime play yard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We have been trying different suggestions, like closing the nests, shutting the door into the house, "locking" the broody in solitary in the play yard so she has no access to the nests or the laying hens. By yesterday afternoon, she was showing no interest in the nests so we are hopeful that we got on her before she kicked into full gear. Last resort will be that Hubby builds a brooder jail.

So for now, I'll wait and see if the problem is resolved......

6. Stynch

Nov 7, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Yay!! I guess we were successful at breaking the broody behavior. For the past couple of days, she has been acting more like her old self, and today, she laid her first egg in 8 days!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yayyy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by