can a broody hen start over day 12

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatcrazychick, May 2, 2017.

1. thatcrazychick

thatcrazychick New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    West Michigan
    Hi. I have a broody hen sitting on two fertile eggs. Candled them day 12 and they have not developed. Can I start her over with new eggs? I don't want to put her under too much stress...otherwise how do I break her brood cycle? Any info greatly appreciated.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    You can do either - give her more eggs or break her broodiness. I wouldn't let her go longer than the next batch of eggs, though, before giving her a break.

If you'd like to break her the easiest way is often to move her to a new place or put her in a wire-bottomed cage that allows air to circulate under her. I like to use a wire cage with just a perch for them to sit on. It keeps them from being able to nest down and usually takes no more than 3 days to snap them out of it.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Another option would be to leave those two eggs under her, or get her some fake eggs to sit on for another week or so, and replace them with baby chicks if you have a source for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by