Can a broody keep chicks warm in the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JLS, Apr 2, 2011.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have been housing my Silkie and her adopted chicks (7 chicks - 4 weeks old) in my basement in a large tote aka "broody box". The basement is 50F. The chicks are almost entirely feathered out. I moved the Mama and brood out into the coop today. They are completely seperate from the rest of the flock. I installed a 75 watt light just above the nest box.

It is 45-50F during the day and 29-34F at night. Will she be able to keep them warm enough??

2. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    My broody did, and it was in the dead of winter in Minnesota. Mind you, she hatched them there, too, so no moving was required.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If she couldn't, chickens would have gone extinct centuries before Thomas Edison. Just sayin' [​IMG]

4. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks for easing my mind. I just went out into the coop and noticed that the hen had the chicks away from the light. So I herded her and the chicks into the nest box under the light. After a few moments she and the chicks settled down. I think she must have been unsure of the light. Now she and her brood seem to be content.

I am a worried mess! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by