Can a bunnie and 2 welsh harleuquins live together in the same coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welsh H. lover a(TM)?, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Welsh H. lover a(TM)?

Welsh H. lover a(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I have two, 2 1/2 week old welsh harlequin ducklings. Im thinking about getting a bunnie, but i want to make sure the ducklings wont hurt it or the bunnie hurt them. By the time i get the bunnie the ducklings will be full grown. Is it possable for them all to live together without them hurting eachother? thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They may not hurt each other per se, but the bunny would be living in duck... err poo. so how does a poo covered bunny sound?

What some people have done is place a seperate bunny cage inside a coop, with a toop, so they're not pooed on, but they wouldn't want to "free range" the same land. Or you can use chicken wire to seperate off part of the coop and run (of course you know rabbits dig, so you'll have to bury wire).

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I have both ducks and rabbits. And no, you cannot let them live in the same pen. The ducks make a HUGE mess. The rabbits are very clean. The rabbits need a lot of clean, dry hay, the ducks would foul it asap. They could eat each other's food, which probably would be worse for the rabbit. Plus, like all species, it would be nice to have company. And two rabbits with a couple (or more) ducks won't be good. FYI if you adopt them from a shelter, you can get an altered pair of either male/female or same sex rabbits, and can see the personality before you take them home.
    I suggest you go to www.rabbit.org and read up on rabbit care. It is a great website and will give you tons of very good info on rabbit care. Rabbits are a bit complicated, more than people realize, but if you do it right, they are great pets.
    Mine live in the other half of the duck shed, it is divided by a half wall, and the shed opens into a play area for each species, they can't be in the same ones. My rabbits LOVE to dig and the ducks love to splash. It would be one GIANT mud puddle if they were together.
    Good luck. I love my bunnies.

4. Welsh H. lover a(TM)?

Welsh H. lover a(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    thanks for the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by