Can a Chick be sexed by egg shape??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickens2009, Mar 5, 2011.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Songster

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    There is an older gentlemen that lives on an island about 5 miles from me and he says that you can determine a chicken's sex by their egg shape before you incubate. He says that all sharpely pointed eggs will hatch as roos and all round eggs will hatch as pullets.
    Has anyone on here heard of this before and is there any truth to it? Sounds to good to be true to me [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

No way, sorry. That means hens I have who lay super oval/rounded eggs would only produce pullets. For example, my Lexie's eggs didn't have a pointy end at all and she produced 95% cockerels.

Think about it--would hatcheries kill millions of male chicks yearly in grinders if they could just avoid hatching the ones they didn't need? There are so many old wives (farmers'?) tales and always have been.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have an older gentleman down the road that says this too plus what the temp is in the bator. If it is set right at 99.5 alot of roos, 100 or 101 mostly hens. Ain't seen it happen but he swears by it. Old tale from way back when?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wouldn't we all love it, if it were that easy.

5. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I've heard of that, not sure how shape of egg would tell but figure you got to be 50/50. [​IMG]

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:This is only true for reptiles as far as cooler or warmer temperatures determining the sex of the babies. Chickens are like mamals in the sense that the sex is determined when the egg is fertilized.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Sex organs on the chick are already forming by five days into incubation. Temps won't change that. Temperatures may affect reptiles and perhaps one sex is hardier than the other if there is a damaging temp spike, but temps don't actually determine the sex of birds.

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. bluere11e

bluere11e Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of being right..

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I agree I was joking. I try though to tell my DH this is not true and he says that guy is always right. LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: