Can a chick be too friendly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenn-E, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    One of my 4 week-old chicks loves to jump up on my lap & my shoulder. She will peck at my hair, my ears, my freckles, and even my teeth! She also sometimes "bites" my fingers to see if I have snacks. None of this is painful, but she is still pretty small. My first batch of chicks were pretty stand-offish, so I have been enjoying the fact that one of the younger batch is so friendly to me. Overall the younger batch is pretty friendly to me- they will run up to my hands if I put them in the brooder; check for treats; let me pick them up, etc. I'm just starting to wonder whether this might cause problem as she gets older/bigger. Anyone have thoughts or experience?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Overall I don't see a down side -- a lot better to have tame, friendly ones that are easy to capture if necessary than ones that are afraid of you.

I hope that pecking at your teeth was accidental -- risk of salmonella you know.

3. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    They might calm down some once there out of the brooder...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Oftentimes the friendliest one is a rooster.......unfortunately. And if it is, all this friendliness means he won't be shy about waltzing up and biting you whenever he sees fit.

I don't like friendly chicks --- they learn to be friendlier as they get older and figure out where the treats come from.

5. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Pecking my tooth only happened once. I think she is just very curious about everything. She was the first to fly up to the edge of the brooder & is the only one who will fly down to the floor & look around.

I had read on here that roosters who are friendly as chicks can get aggressive as adults because they aren't afraid of you. I didn't know if there were similar concerns with females (I am hoping that the hatchery sexing was correct). Last night she pooped on my shoulder, which I guess is one downside to the friendliness.

6. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:I hatched 7 araucanas 15 weeks ago. Of the 7, 5 turned out to be roos. I've rehomed 3 of the boys already and just need to find a home for one more of the boys so that I have 1 roo and 2 hens. All of my birds are very friendly (because I forced myself on them when they were babies) but by far the friendliest is the roo I am going to keep. When they moved out to the coop and run when they were about 5 weeks old, they would fly at me when I came in but I put a stop to that. I also do not allow them to sit on my shoulder. There are some pretty gruesome pictures posted on this site of people that have been pecked in the eye. And if you have children - their faces are closer to chick level. So it would just be better to keep her away from your face. Those little pecks don't hurt now, but they will - and chickens are FAST and a peck can come out of nowhere before you even know it.

I have a chair in their run so I can go and sit with them. They all follow me to the chair and after I sit down I pat my lap. If they are still interested (after they have realized I didn't bring any goodies), they'll hop up and sit in my lap for a good pet and neck rub. Sometimes all 4 of them want to get up at the same time for a group hug, but now that they are bigger I just don't have the lap room!

There is nothing wrong with friendly chicks - as long as you teach them some manners.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i have a chick that will jump in my hand and run straight up my arm to my shoulder. kinda cool.

8. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:Chicken diapers! Seriously - check out the WSJ post in Another News Story . Hatchery sexing is about 90% accurate - so.....

Hens can be aggressive too. As I tell my DH - I am the flock leader! Check out the "Scooby Roo bite me - twice" post on how to handle aggression. Pick them up. Turn them upside down and walk around with them like that for awhile. Or give them a time-out. Then give them a treat so they learn that you are a: bigger than they are; b: you are the boss; and c. you have treats. They are not smart, but they can learn minimal social skills.

9. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I want chicks who like me [​IMG] to all my birds on the yard i am the big bad mean guy until feed time and treat time.

10. JaimeGoulart

JaimeGoulart New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    I think not. I justgot a new Hen two days ago. First day She lut me pick her up. She is a Buff Orpington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by