Can a chicken be both a hen and rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonezjollyfarm, Mar 27, 2016.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I have a br hen that I am sure is a hen but has picked up some rooster behavior. My dad said he saw her wing dance our rooster the other day when he was chicken sitting and I saw her find a worm and cluck for the other hens just like my rooster does. It was so bizarre. Is this unusual or normal. This is my first time raising chickens they are just over a year old and we have had them since they were a week old.

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    First, are you SURE that the hen is truly a hen? Hens can take on the behavior of roosters but almost always it is when there are no roosters present. Have you actually seen her lay an egg?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Can you post a picture of her?

4. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Oh yes. She visits the box and I have 7 hens and regularly get 7 eggs.I collect eggs like a jewel thief. Digging around in the boxes so I know none are left behind. When they were young before they started laying I caught her jumping on the backs of the other hens but I think that was more a dominance thing. Surely if she was a rooster her and the real rooster would fight... my rooster wasn't raised with my hens he is older

5. jonezjollyfarm

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

Not the best picture. She thought I was trying to get her. I forgot to mention she has grown spurs. They aren't huge but they are definitely spurs

6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    She just may have a lot of testosterone in her system. Happens from time to time. Nothing to really worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by