can a chicken be solitary and be ok?

Nagi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
So Cal
Hi-
it is getting close to the time when my chickens will start laying eggs and my BF's mom wants one. I suggested 2 so they will have company, but she only wants one. Will the hen be ok being by herself or will she get really stressed out? Will she end up bonding more to people?
any thoughts? thanks so much!!

I really wouldn't recommend it. They are a flock animal and like to be with others of its own kind. I have a only chick in the flock and it hangs around by itself and you should see how sad it looks and its still in with a flock of hens.

It can be done but if bird is valued as a pet then its psychological well being can be promoted by more interactions with keeper and even other pets. Keeping a single bird isolated in coop would not be ideal. Having so bird can get out into an enriched environment on a regular basis will make for a happier bird.

I had a single egg hatch last June, and you should have seen how the chick perked up and got excited when I introduced him to his five new hatchery sisters. He bonded immediately with them. They take their cues for everything they do from each other. they're more like a complete organism when they make a flock together than one alone.

Even the "loners" in my flock will spend at least some time with the others.

thank you so very much for your replies! I will encourage her to try two and am happy to have them back if she can't handle both. They are free range and I don't know if they would do well being in a coop all day. I am going to go look at the layout of the yard and see what can be done so they still feel free.
I will encourage her to have a close relationship with them too.
thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom