1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a chicken diaper help keep a rooster from doing his deed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldensunriseranch, Aug 27, 2008.

1. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Hi! I've never had a chicken with a chicken diaper, but just saw a photo and am wondering, CAN you use one to prevent a rooster from being able to fertilize the girls? Or does it not fit tight enough to keep them from getting it pushed aside to still do the deed?
    Reason is my son has a little cross rooster as a pet and he runs around free as can be, and it's part of his charm that he has his freedom. He is just now getting to breeding age and I don't want any accidental crossbreeding if he jumps into a pen of purebreds. I know the roosters housed in each pen will fight him off and keep him from their girls but it would be so nice to have the extra peace of mind, and not have to get rid of my son's pet, or have to keep him caged up all the time. He has started courting a neighbor's hen that visits from time to time so he's interested elsewhere at the moment, she is about quadruple his size though. It's so darn cute.
    Any thoughts or ideas?
    Thanks! Michelle

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would be afraid the diaper would work but he might get caught up in something outside. would be fine inside were you could supervise him, but outside don't know. [​IMG]

3. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Yeah I kind of thought that too, but he is usually always just in the barn in the aisle, in my rabbitry or on the lawn. I've never really seen him go exploring any further than that.

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    You could try it and just supervise him for a while and see how he does with it.

5. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Will probably just try it and see how it goes. At least it will help for when my son decides to bring him in the house and sit him up on the TV for the night. I didn't notice until morning. He sat there all night apparently. [​IMG]

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    LOL, thats what my house chicken need. We found out the hard way she likes to use the 50" plasma tv for a washroom. She doesnt roost there, just like to go on it and crap, then get off.

7. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    The diaper just fits around the chest and the vent, I don't think it would stop him from mating LoL

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, I guess you could try. But if he did jump up and try to mate, he'd end up sticking his bum in his own poo! [​IMG]

9. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    i knew they make diapers for dogs and such, but i never would have thought of a chicken diaper. [​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I hear chicken wire works, but you have to surround him on all six sides with it, and leave room to stretch, scratch and perch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by