Can a chicken eat Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food long term?

Chickenchick11

Carpe Diem
9 Years
Hi everyone,
So I have a chicken who has a very sensitive crop. It started six months ago when she had a pendulous crop, but after I got her a crop bra she went back to her old self and would eat anything and everything she could. Since then she's had a slow or sour crop a few times, and every time she's gotten pickier and pickier. A few weeks ago she wouldn't eat anything, and was so skinny I was afraid she would soon be knocking on deaths door, so I bought some Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food off of amazon in case I had to tube feed her. I syringe fed her the baby bird food for two or three days, and then she started to eat it on her own. Long story short, now she won't touch regular chicken food, and will only eat the baby bird food and a few treats. Can she eat the baby bird food long term and thrive? Do I need to supplement any vitamins?

Ingredients:
Ground corn, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, ground oat groats, wheat middlings, soybean oil, dried whole egg, soy protein isolate, dried molasses beat pulp, soybean meal, ground flax seed (source of omega-3), dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, l-lysine, wheat germ meal, Brewers dried yeast, vitamin a supplement, salt, l-arginine, fructooligosaccharide, choline chloride, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, yeast extract, propionic acid (preservative), vitamin e supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, mixed tocopherols (preservative), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin c), manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganese oxcide, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin k activity), niacin, Rosemary extract, citric acid, ethoxyquin (preservative), calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3), folic acid, beta-carotene, calcium iodate, biotin, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, dried bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation product.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min.)..............................22.0%
Crude fat (min.).......................................9.0%
Crude fiber (max.)...................................5.0%
Moisture (max.)......................................10.0%
Omega-3 fatty acids.................................0.5%
Total bacillus species (min.)......250,000 CFU/g
(B. Lincheniformis, b. Subtilis) CFU-Colony Forming Units

Last edited:
Wow! You've done an amazing thing with her! Everything looks good in the contents, even the protein is pretty high. I'd wait for someone more experienced than me to chime in too!
hide.gif
The one thing that I can imagine is that this would be very expensive for you! Have you compared the nutritional facts of the baby bird food with your chicken feed?

Also, I am a BIG supporter of fermented feed. It has helped many people on the boards with their chickens feed problems. Have you tried doing this? This is a good article that could get you started with it...plus added bonus there's a video!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Wow!  You've done an amazing thing with her!  Everything looks good in the contents, even the protein is pretty high.  I'd wait for someone more experienced than me to chime in too!  :oops:   The one thing that I can imagine is that this would be very expensive for you!  Have you compared the nutritional facts of the baby bird food with your chicken feed?

Also, I am a BIG supporter of fermented feed.  It has helped many people on the boards with their chickens feed problems.  Have you tried doing this?  This is a good article that could get you started with it...plus added bonus there's a video!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Thank you! She's my baby and I've shelled out more money on her than I ever thought I would on a chicken. LOL. :lol: Sadly you are correct, is it VERY expensive, $14.99 for 18 ounces. :barnie I have seen it sold in bulk on Amazon, 22 pounds for $86.00 if I remember correctly. Here's the nutritional facts for the food I fed her before she became a picky chicken:

Crude Protein Min. 16.0%
Lysine Min. 0.70%
Methionine Min. 0.30%
Crude Fat Min. 2.5%
Crude Fiber Max. 6.0%
Calcium Min. 3.70% - Max. 3.90%
Phosphorus Min. 0.45%
Salt Min. 0.25% - Max. 0.65%
Sodium Min. 0.15% - Max. 0.23%
Manganese Min. 110 PPM
Selenium Min. 0.3 PPM
Vitamin A Min. 3,300 IU/LB
Vitamin D3 Min. 1,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E Min. 20 IU/LB
Lactobacillus acidophilus Min. 5.1 mil CFU/LB
Lactobacillus casei Min. 5.1 mil CFU/LB
Bifidobacterium thermophilum Min. 5.1 mil CFU/LB
Enterococcus faecium Min. 5.1 mil CFU/LB

Hmmm....I've never thought about trying fermented feed with her, it's definitely worth a shot though. Thanks for the link!

Have you tried offering her wetted feed? If you add water to pelleted chicken feed, it will break down into a runny gruel. 

Yes I have, and the little stinker refuses it. :barnie

Okay, so I'm sure you can see the baby bird feed is missing some components of the chicken feed. Lysine and calcium both go into the production of healthy eggs (and bones). Plus she's getting a higher protein.

I would try to gradually mix chicken feed back in to it in-perceptively to her! And try fermenting after you get more chicken feed in there. It may just entice her to eat it!

Bella, Kaytee makes excellent food and can be given to all birds. And while this feed is for parrots and may not contain everything a chicken needs I have used it on sick and healing chickens and quail for long periods of time with good success. Wetting the feed does help to get them to eat it and even putting seeds and other goodies in the feed can get them used to tasting and eating it.

I have found that birds that have trouble with food have low grade yeast infections and may have these infections all their lives. You may want to dose her daily with a mix I have found heals yeast infections, heals and strengthens intestinal tracts...

1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp. Ginger powder
1/4 tsp. Chili powder
a squirt Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon water
Down the throat once a day for a few weeks. You can tube this in or if you use a syringe, use a 1 ml syringe ...one of those really thin ones you can get at most pharmacies. These are small enough you can control small amounts of liquid down the throat without aspirating. .2 .3 or maybe .4 ml on the front if the lower beak goes down easy. You may find she can tolerate food much better after using this mix. Then use it occasionally to keep yeast at bay. Probiotics in the feed as well.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm sure you can see the baby bird feed is missing some components of the chicken feed.  Lysine and calcium both go into the production of healthy eggs (and bones).  Plus she's getting a higher protein.

I would try to gradually mix chicken feed back in to it in-perceptively to her! And try fermenting after you get more chicken feed in there.  It may just entice her to eat it!

Okay, I've tried to give her oyster shell for calcium in the past, but she's refused it. She's also not laying any eggs, and hasn't for months.

I can try that. The thing she seems to protest most about the regular chicken feed is the texture. The baby bird food is super smooth, but the regular chicken feed is coarsely-ground, which she doesn't like.

Bella, Kaytee makes excellent food and can be given to all birds. And while this feed is for parrots and may not contain everything a chicken needs I have used it on sick and healing chickens and quail for long periods of time with good success. Wetting the feed does help to get them to eat it and even putting seeds and other goodies in the feed can get them used to tasting and eating it.

I have found that birds that have trouble with food have low grade yeast infections and may have these infections all their lives. You may want to dose her daily with a mix I have found heals yeast infections, heals and strengthens intestinal tracts...

1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp. Ginger powder
1/4 tsp. Chili powder
a squirt Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon water
Down the throat once a day for a few weeks. You can tube this in or if you use a syringe, use a 1 ml syringe ...one of those really thin ones you can get at most pharmacies. These are small enough you can control small amounts of liquid down the throat without aspirating. .2 .3 or maybe .4 ml on the front if the lower beak goes down easy. You may find she can tolerate food much better after using this mix. Then use it occasionally to keep yeast at bay. Probiotics in the feed as well.

Thanks for your reply, Leyla! I'm glad that I'm not hurting her by keeping her on it for more than a week or two. Hmm.....that's very interesting, I would never have though of it being a low grade yeast infection. I'll give her the mixture.

Okay, I've tried to give her oyster shell for calcium in the past, but she's refused it. She's also not laying any eggs, and hasn't for months.

I can try that. The thing she seems to protest most about the regular chicken feed is the texture. The baby bird food is super smooth, but the regular chicken feed is coarsely-ground, which she doesn't like.
Thanks for your reply, Leyla! I'm glad that I'm not hurting her by keeping her on it for more than a week or two. Hmm.....that's very interesting, I would never have though of it being a low grade yeast infection. I'll give her the mixture.
If she isn't laying, she won't eat the oyster shell, and they don't eat a ton of it even when they are laying.

If she isn't laying, she won't eat the oyster shell, and they don't eat a ton of it even when they are laying.

Okay.

Can you blenderize the regular chicken feed into a finer texture for a wet mash?

I'm not sure, I could see if my sister will let me use her immersion blender and try it.

Back
Top Bottom