Can a chicken get a plain old cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhodiegal, Nov 4, 2007.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I have a young silkie hen (about 3 mos old) who has been sneezing once in a while and is huddled up. She eats and drinks fine and has normal droppings. She tries to cuddle up and get warm next to the other chickens and does a lot of sleeping. There is no sign of any nasal/eye discharge. Can a chicken get a normal cold or is it more likely Bronchitis? This is strange b/c the hen is my daughters and she handles it alot. My daughter just got over what the doctor said was Adenovirus. I noticed in a book that chickens can get that same virus. I wonder if she caught it from my daughter?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you might have a faecal exam done to ensure your bird does not have cocci... You can also give three drops of Polyvisol (childrens A-B-D vitamins) in beak once a day for a week to correct any eventual deficiency .

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  3. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I know we have cocci in the environment - did not know the symptoms. I do have some type of treatment for that - I will have to look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by