Can a chicken have a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hunsbergerchick, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hunsbergerchick

hunsbergerchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    I have this rooster who one day just started to act off not as perky as normal. I gave him antibiotics and kept him cooped up. Then I saw him flopping all around the coop and he landed and the cornor and just laid there. I went over to him to see if he was alive and he was. He still is its been about a week since the flopping incident and he acts like he can't see out of one eye he can't scratch and peck any more cause falls down when he tries and he can't get on his perch or stay on it very well. My kids love him he's our very first chicken that we ever hatched. I can't decide what do to. Looking for advice all is welcome. Do you think he's in pain?

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Any animal can have a stroke, sure. I would be more worried about something infectious. There are several infectious poultry diseases (Marek's comes to mind first) that can cause neurological changes a bird.

3. hunsbergerchick

hunsbergerchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    But no one else is sick. The rest of my flock is perfect. I have also already treated with antibiotics for a week. Do you think I should put him down? :(

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Antibiotics would have no effect on a viral disease. The only way to really know what is wrong with him is to take him to a vet. If you're not in a position to do that, then only you can decide if/when you need to put him down. And I'm very sorry this happened to your favorite chicken. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by