Can a chicken lay a tiny egg?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yawnal, Feb 20, 2013.

1. yawnal

yawnal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    While gathering the eggs today we found the cutest little surprise. This cute little egg which is laying on it's side in the egg carton it is so small. I'm just wondering if it is a chicken egg? It was in the nest with the other chicken eggs but wow is it little. These hens have been laying for about 6 months and I have never had an egg like this. What do you guys think? Chicken or a trespasser?
    [​IMG]

2. Comeonbroodyhen

Comeonbroodyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It looks like a " first egg" to me ! My little OEGB hens first egg looked like that.

3. yawnal

Jan 21, 2013
    I wondered that too but I swore all 15 of the hens have been laying for about 6 months. lol I am getting 14 eggs per day. Their pen is open during the day for them to come and go as they please so I wondered if anything else would lay there too. So funny.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I call those fart eggs. They usually don't have a yolk. It's just a reproductive glitch.

5. yawnal

Jan 21, 2013
    Bwahahahaha I like that. Fart eggs.

6. fenceman48

fenceman48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    I've had that happen also. I think it's my SLW pullet that should be laying now. I've had about 6 of those small eggs in the last 2 weeks. Should they be getting bigger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by