Can a chicken move it's egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Noodle Farm, Aug 19, 2016.

1. The Noodle Farm

The Noodle Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    This may be a silly question. But I went out earlier around 4 to collect the eggs if any. There was one but one of the girls came up so I decided to leave it. Just went back out there and there was two eggs but in a different spot. I only have 3 hens that just started laying. Some days I get 3 eggs some days I get one egg. So can they move it? Lol

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They can roll them, but they can't pick them up and move them. Occasionally an egg can stick to a hens behind, or get tucked up under a wing and get moved.

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    My broody hen kept moving the plastic eggs from the adjacent nest box to hers. So yeah, they can move eggs!

4. The Noodle Farm

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol okay Thanks

5. The Noodle Farm

Jun 28, 2016
    Someone else mentioned the moving with the wing thing too. Hmm

6. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    We had an egg move from the ground level nest box the broody had settled into--- to the boxes above- unfortunately inexperienced DH didn't know the difference, collected eggs from all but the broody's box, put it in the fridge and cracked it the next morning ... ugh!

... so one of the hens managed to steal the egg and jump up a couple feet with it-- one cannot reach into the ground level broody boxes without doing some serious contortions. (nobody lays eggs there unless it's a broody building a clutch)

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    A few times I have moved broody hens and an egg would drop on the ground from under her wing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by