Can a chicken never lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by derby, Oct 29, 2009.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Besides roosters [​IMG]

My pullet must be over 7 months old now and shows no sign of ever laying an egg. She was new in an established flock this past spring and has never been accepted by the others. Will she evr lay an egg or are there some hens that just never lay?

Derby

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am wondering that myself. I have a sg all her sisters have been laying for over 3 months now and she has not yet laid a single egg!

3. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    My rooster never layed an egg![​IMG]

4. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure. I have a RSL hen who ... looked like a pullet ... sounded like a pullet... but now that she is almost 2 years old, I noticed that she has never laid and egg. At this point she has small spurs. She doesn't crow, but doesn't look - .. right .. - either. Not sure how else to explain it. Her beak over-grows and needs clipped off periodically. When I tested my flock, her blood was brown, not red,.. but there was nothing wrong with her. Bizarre.

ETA: I have Orpington and Barred Rock pullets that are just about 6 months old. They are not laying yet either. I was told the Orp line doesn't start until they're almost 8 months old.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Brown Leghorn that has never laid an egg...as far as I can tell. She's 9 months old!!! And a LEGHORN!!! I can usually tell which egg came from which hen by color, size and shape, and I've never gotten a white from her. I've seen her sit in the nest box, get up, and nothing...Grrrrrrrrr. She's perfectly healthy as far as I can tell...no signs of being an internal layer or egg bound or whatever. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My buff cochin laid regular then went broody now is over that...gets pecked by other hens and still not laying! I wonder if she will ever lay again and how to stop the others from pecking feathers out of her head!

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How long has it been since she was broody? My Silkie went broody and I let her hatch a few eggs. It was 2 months AFTER the eggs hatched before she started laying again.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    QuailHollowP&P :

Sure. I have a RSL hen who ... looked like a pullet ... sounded like a pullet... but now that she is almost 2 years old, I noticed that she has never laid and egg. At this point she has small spurs. She doesn't crow, but doesn't look - .. right .. - either. Not sure how else to explain it. Her beak over-grows and needs clipped off periodically. When I tested my flock, her blood was brown, not red,.. but there was nothing wrong with her. Bizarre.

ETA: I have Orpington and Barred Rock pullets that are just about 6 months old. They are not laying yet either. I was told the Orp line doesn't start until they're almost 8 months old.

My bo started laying at 5 months.​

9. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I have a hen that is nearly 2 years old and has never laid and egg. Is it possible for a hen to be sterile?

10. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have a Warren who is at least 2 and she has never laid, despite Warrens being bred specifically as egg layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by