Can a chicken suffer with hemorrhoids?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Helen29, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Hi all,
    I have a 16 week old RIR that seems to have what appears to be a hemorrhoid. It is only visible when she's pooing, it seems to be a struggle for her so she stands there for a while with her feathers all puffed out, when she does this I can clearly see a large round red thing sticking out of her rectum. When she has finished it all goes back inside again, and then nothing is visible. She is showing signs that she is ready to lay, crouching low when I pet her, reddened in the face and making a lot of noise (or maybe this is all to do with strain?). So I am concerned but wondering could this just be to do with her getting ready to lay an egg? Or could it be some kind of hemorrhoid? I have done a bit of searching before posting but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, her lump is not visible all of the time and only sticks out when she's going to the toilet. If any one had any advice or tips, or has had a similar experience I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They don't have the same parts as humans. No rectum or blood vessel clumps (hemorrhoids). They have a cloaca, which is the common exit point for eggs and poop. It does come out some on laying an egg but should go back in. If it stays out, then she has a prolapse and it needs to be put back in gently.

At 16 weeks, she should be getting ready to lay. So maybe she's exercisisng her parts.

3. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    That's what I hoped, thanks so much for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by