Can a chicken swallow an earplug and digest it???? Please help immediately! thanks!

hicken Newbie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
We brought in our small bantam chicken and she swalllowed an earplug that is attached on a string. I am so conflicted on whether i should pull out the string and earplug that looks like ------D or cut the string and let her swallow the whole earplug. Which is safer PLEASE any advice is reassuring and helpful. Thanks for your time!

One time a chicken swallowed a disintegrating tarp string and I couldn't pull it out...it was stuck in there. I trimmed it at the beak level and it went through - I never saw it again. The chicken did fine!

So, I would gently gently!! tug on it...if it won't come out immediately then cut the string at the beak level. That is what I would do. Hopefully it will go through ok. I assume it is made of plastic??

thanks so much for the input. it is spongey and can like shrink and expand. i would hope that it would be able to smush down and go through her digestive system smoothly. do u think i shud just cut off the string? i dont want to attempt to pull it out and have her choke :(

So she has swallowed the squishy end? There's not a whole lot you can do but trim the string and just watch her closely. If she stops eating, drinking, or pooping it could mean it has blocked her up on the inside. Hopefully it will pass on through.

Thank you all so much for the help. She swallowed it easily and is eating. Hopefully everything turns out well. :D

Back
Top Bottom