Can A Comb Tell Wether A Hen Is Laying Or Not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by c0dywhite, Feb 17, 2013.

1. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I was wondering if one could tell if a hen was laying by its comb? I've heard someone say something about it, but idk what they are talking about? Any ideas?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's an indication, not a sure thing. A hen that is laying or getting ready to lay should have a bright red comb. One not laying will likely have a paler comb.

I've had several with bright red combs that were not laying, but a bright red comb is a pretty good sign. I guess it's more that if the comb is not bright red they are probably not laying. It can help you tell which ones in your fliock are earning their supper.

3. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Alrighty thanks.
    I haven't paid close attention, but I do know the chickens with single colmbs I think they are called. The ones with combs that hang over, anyway all the chickens that have those kind of combs are bright red & I'm not getting a single egg. & I have 20 hens, unless they are laying outside, but I don't think they are.
    The only eggs im getting is 1-2 ducks eggs every other day & 1 silkie egg about every 2 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by