1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Can a coop be too big?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Heffalump, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Heffalump

Heffalump In the Brooder

Aug 18, 2018
    Northern Ireland
    Currently have 6 hens, and I'm looking about for a 6x8ft shed with a view to getting a few more. Now I'm in the market though I'm wondering if I should look for bigger again just in case I want a few more after my few more....

townchicks likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Go Bigger!

If you are already thinking it... you better do it, chicken math is REALLY hard. :oops: Besides bigger means more room to hang out during bad weather and potentially more time in between cleaning for the keeper. It might give you room to include an isolation ward, store some supplies or just hang out. You won't regret going bigger NOW. :thumbsup

3. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Songster

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    Short math answer....4 sq ft per bird in coop and 10 sqft per bird for run.
    Your coop is 48sq ft so you're ok there right now. So you can go up to 12 birds. How big is your run?

townchicks and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Those are really good starting guidelines. :thumbsup

Peoples' husbandry skills, their weather conditions (think snow or Pacific northwest rain), possible predator conditions requiring unexpected confinement and the personality of the birds kept (including possible broodiness or accidental cockerels) are big factors. Bigger spaces... More than recommended.... equals LESS problems ALWAYS when it comes to poultry keeping. ;)

You also need to account for the floor space that will be taken (if any) by feeders, water, and lay boxes. I don't keep feeders or water in my coop except during days of needed confinement like teaching someone to quit hiding eggs. Many factors will come into play....

GO as big as YOU can.... I now have 5 separate coops, no wait almost 7, two more coming into use here shortly! :oops: :smack And two of them are 12x12 with huge pastures... you already sound like... a math magician in the making. :cool:

blackdog043, aart and townchicks like this.
  5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Big Coop + More Chickens= the Perfect Math problem! :celebrate

townchicks and EggSighted4Life like this.
  6. Heffalump

Heffalump In the Brooder

Aug 18, 2018
    Northern Ireland
    Haha! That's great guys, thanks!

townchicks likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    More space is better in your climate....not so you can jam it packed full of birds, but for a healthier environment.

8. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    Go big or go home!

9. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: