Can a coop be too big?

Heffalump

Songster
Aug 18, 2018
Northern Ireland
Currently have 6 hens, and I'm looking about for a 6x8ft shed with a view to getting a few more. Now I'm in the market though I'm wondering if I should look for bigger again just in case I want a few more after my few more....

Go Bigger!

If you are already thinking it... you better do it, chicken math is REALLY hard. :oops: Besides bigger means more room to hang out during bad weather and potentially more time in between cleaning for the keeper. It might give you room to include an isolation ward, store some supplies or just hang out. You won't regret going bigger NOW. :thumbsup

Short math answer....4 sq ft per bird in coop and 10 sqft per bird for run.
Your coop is 48sq ft so you're ok there right now. So you can go up to 12 birds. How big is your run?
Those are really good starting guidelines. :thumbsup

Peoples' husbandry skills, their weather conditions (think snow or Pacific northwest rain), possible predator conditions requiring unexpected confinement and the personality of the birds kept (including possible broodiness or accidental cockerels) are big factors. Bigger spaces... More than recommended.... equals LESS problems ALWAYS when it comes to poultry keeping. ;)

You also need to account for the floor space that will be taken (if any) by feeders, water, and lay boxes. I don't keep feeders or water in my coop except during days of needed confinement like teaching someone to quit hiding eggs. Many factors will come into play....

GO as big as YOU can.... I now have 5 separate coops, no wait almost 7, two more coming into use here shortly! :oops: :smack And two of them are 12x12 with huge pastures... you already sound like... a math magician in the making. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom