Can a coop be too large?

Gtown Farmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
I have seven chickens between 4 and 6 weeks old currently. My coop (formerly used for chickens by the previous owners of the property...I think they had a lot more chickens) is 8X12 and 10' high. I took out the wood floor and having a concrete floor poured this week. I was wondering if I should put some plywood up to create a ceiling to keep the heat down closer to the birds.

Also, I saw on the coop page that all of the coops have ventilation systems as well as windows. If I put a grate vent at the top of the wall, won't it create a draft in winter?

Thanks!!

There is a remedy for that, Get more chickens!
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Kidding aside, the grate vent will create a draft but the chickens will be okay, more important for ventilation. You might want to put a window in though because the chickens need 14 hours daylight for egg laying. In the winter when it's cold and the chicks can't graze in the pen you might have trouble with them not laying.

You will actualy like having a bigger coop because that means you can get more CHICKENS!!!!!!
The vent will create a little bit of a draft if it is down low but It wont hurt anything. The amin thing is to have some way to get air flowing through their coop. Maybe you could put up some breeder cages fopr pigeons or quail in the top part so they will fill up the "attic" part of your coop. I wouldnt worry about making a ceiling. the more room the better!

Good luck!
Cody!!!

I agree, just give it a week, you'll want more chickens. That's just what happens. period. And you won't need a lower ceiling, that kind of height gives you more room for roosts, and they will keep each other plenty warm in the winter... and yes, ventilate! cold air won't make them sick, but moisture will!

celebrate.gif

Alot depends on where you are located. If you are up North and have real cold winters then having a too big of a coop with a small number of chickens is not a good thing. Reason they will have a harder time staying warm unless it is heated somehow. But where winter are not so cold it is fine.

Putting in cement though might not be a good thing as it will hold smells much more than dirt. You will have to seal it with cement sealer and then not have the chickens in it till the fumes pass in a week. Sealing it will make it alot easier to clean and keep a permant smell down.

8x12=96sq.ft. At 4 sq. ft. per bird you divide 96 by 4=24 chickens. For outside run you should provide 10 sq. ft. per bird. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom