Can a Coyote/Coydog jump over a 5ft hi fence?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jmc, Oct 23, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I personally think NOT.

A white tailed deer could if it put some effort into it. But coyotes just aren't that big, or that agile to my knowledge.

I admit that maybe a desperate one might attempt it--or a rabid one.

I also admit that maybe one could try to climb over. But jump successfully a 5 foot high fence? I say "It cannot be done"

My pen is about to be covered with 2" mesh top rite netting anyway, but I wanted some of your thoughts........

Thank you friends!!

2. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I would love to see the one that could, I personally think that one would fail miserably trying. I do think that a hungry one will try a few times, but, it ain' happenin

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have a chocolate lab that can verticle leap 5 feet. I know that because he looks me right in the eye when he does the happy dance when I come home. However, it has not occurred to him that he could use this talent to get over the fence.

I also have seen dogs that will just slip their paws into the openings of a chain link fence and just climb right up and out.

4. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    IMHO a determined coyote (or other canine) could clear a 5 ft fence if it wanted to. My 12" tall JRT can jump 5 ft straight up from a flat-footed standstill and my 50 lb Siberian Husky can do the same with a little bit of a running start.

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    A coyote MIGHT be able to hit 5 feet from a run, but not likely in my opinion.

BTW, a deer can jump over a much higher fence than 5 feet.

6. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I dont know about jumping straight over the fence, but they CAN "climb" the fence. I have seen it done before at my grandmas house. They can do it even better if they have a corner to wedge themselves into and push thier back against on side and use thier paws on the other, they just shimmy right up the fence.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If it had a running start it sure could. You have to think about the anatomy of a coyote. It's hind legs are more like rabbits, leaving them the ability to leap over high fences. As taken from Wikipedia:
    During pursuit, a coyote may reach speeds up to 43 mph (69 km/h),[13] and can jump over 4 meters (13⅛ feet).

Oh yeah! A coyote can jump much higher than 5 feet! [​IMG]

8. ChickenTender63

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I may be wrong, it's happened in the past. But, a vertical leap is much different than trying to clear an obstacle like a fence.

I do think that it would be possible though as someone else posted, that a hungry coyote after failing to jump a fence to get to prey, he might possibly climb the thing.

I have seen dogs climb fences before, and they are rather good at it. And if your hungry, I bet it would be possible.

And I have to still stand with my original answer though, I don't think he could jump and clear a 5' fence, unless he is at a full sprint, and the fence is on the down hill side of a hill, then maybe

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that they'll climb over it without too much trouble. I had a 1/2 st bernard that would climb out of a 6' dog kennel. He weighed about 150.

10. ChickenTender63

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    gumpsgirl, wow! I would have never thought that. And I have been around coyotes my entire life. I guess I have just been around the lazy ones, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by