1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a doe have milk and not be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nubiansrus, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Hello everyone,

My does are driving me crazy!! I have three does, two are from my buck one was bought that way. First Ill talk about the one I bought.. she was bought with a huge belly but no milk... three weeks later she started having milk... over the last 2 months+ her bag has gotten bigger. Can they have milk for 2+ months before they kid?

The other two that I did breed. They are getting fatter and fatter, both have had milk about a month now, but they have went past both times they should have kidded. The buck is only with them certain times but there is only a fence between them... I dont think he could breed through the fence but I suppose it is possible... but why would he have only breed the ones that were in with him through the fence, and not the other 15 does in there... Can does go way over the 150 days? Or can they have milk be maidens and not be pregnant? My does are really starting to frustrate me lol. Oh and I know about pregnant does a bit... we have two other does deliever right on time... Im confused lol

Also... someone said feel the ligaments. Umm might sound stupid but exactly how do I feel them?

2. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Yes, a doe can come into milk without kidding. It is called a precosious milker, (and no, I don't know how to spell that!)

About them being bred or not or other reasons for big belly I cannot say. Too many possibilities and not enough information. (and I am not an expert!)
    Try the goat forums. Homesteading Today : Goats.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    One of my does started leaking at least a month prior. I was watching her every minute for 4 weeks on end, blurry eyes at all hours. Finally one day I got bit by a cat and had to run into the hospital for stitches, antibiotics, etc. I came home, completely hammered on pain medication, and there she was having kidded twins on her own.

the watched pot never boils...

4. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:LOL thats true with all of the animals isnt it?

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've gotten very good with spotting the sheep by their behavior, the swollen vulva, etc. But goats? They're always acting awkwardly. Because of this, I kid in the barn rather than on the grass like we do with teh cows/sheep.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My vet explained it as almost like a false pregnancy in a human. The hormones convince them they are pregnant and the body reacts as if it is. This includes the production of milk.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    really? they can have milk with out giving birth? How does that happen? Can other mammals do that?

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I know pigs certainly have false pregnancies. They'll bag up and everything, then nothing happens.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not gonna even guess on your goat [​IMG] But certainly most of the domestic animals I'm familiar with can have false pregnancies including some degree of milk production -- dogs, cats, horses, and humans [ok technically not a domestic animal [​IMG]]. A similar thing actually happened to me, some while *before* my first-ever pregnancy.

This is kind of off the wall, but I know that horses (at least, probably other things too) can have really prolonged milk production if a foal is not totally weaned or if it is reintroduced and resumes occasional nursing. Is it at all possible that one of the other goats is, er, snacking, and promoting further lactation? Probably not, just a thought.

Good luck,

Pat

10. Nubiansrus

Oct 28, 2008
    I would think that the false pregnancy was an option. What were talking about three different does here. Its weird cause I have my breeding dates and they have pasted... and the stud is next to them, and could have breed them through the fence. But its weird hed breed those and none of the others when those were with him. But I suppose stranger things have happened lol.

Noticed a bit of discharge coming from personal areas on two of them does yesterday. Not alot but a little. And one of them it was kind of creamy... id never seen that before

Two of the does are also in with 6-8 month old does, so it is possible someone is nursing off them. One other doe is only with other adult goats, and I dont think shed stand for anyone nursing off her. Shes a bit of a bully. Im worried she wont let her own babies. But we bottle feed mostly so its no real worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by