can a dove raise a cockatiel

aidanby1

In the Brooder
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Australia
My doves are incubating 3 cockatiel eggs and they are all developing little chicks. My question is if the eggs hatch will the doves take care of the chicks. All answers will be wonderful (thanks)

Sorry to be pessimistic but I doubt that his will work. The doves may very well be able to incubate the 'tiel eggs until they hatch, but you would probably have to step in and begin feeding them yourself.

I have quite a bit of experience hand-raising parrots, and while it can definitely be done from the moment they hatch, I personally prefer to leave them with the mother for at least a few days. To me, this seems to give them a stronger start but doesn't sacrifice the tameness/socialization you want to see in a pet parrot.

I do not think that the dove hen will be able to successfully rear the 'tiels, even for a few days. Their nutrition requirements are different, the shapes of their beaks are different, and the female dove may not be able to keep up with the cockatiels demands for food and warmth.

I would suggest waiting to see if the dove can hatch the eggs, and then stepping in from there. Be sure you have the right brooding and hand-feeding equipment, as things differ quite a bit from what poultry needs.

Parrots and doves/pigeons feed their young in very different ways. With parrots, babies "gape" and mom/dad regurgitate into babies' open beaks -- the babies expect food to be pumped into them. With doves/pigeons, the parents open their beaks and babies stick their beaks inside their parents' mouths, getting food in a manner somewhat like drinking through a straw (the babies' beaks being the "straw"). Baby cockatiels hatched by doves will thus "gape" to be fed, and the doves will not understand how to feed them.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for replying, I will see if they hatch first and if they do I will hand raise them.

Back
Top Bottom