Can a Drake Injure his Girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We have a small herd of 12 ducks - one is a Blue Swedish Drake, then we have a female Blue Swedish, 2 Golden Hybrid 300, 3 runners, 4 white crested, and a Cayuga. The Cayuga is almost a year old, but the others are about 6 months. Our drake is fairly large compared to the others and very exuberant about mating, so most of our cresteds have bald heads.

But this morning, i was getting ready to post asking for help with our blue runner whose legs seemed paralyzed and jutting out behind her. But as i was searching to see if anyone else posted a similar problem, she stood up. She's in our office now in a laundry bin. She actually looks like she is trying to lay an egg. When i found her earlier, unable to move her legs, she had been in our little pond (kiddie pool) and Mr. Lucky had just finished mating her. She tried to get out of the pond and couldn't.

So my question is, could his mating cause internal damage? It's clear the damage he causes to the heads of the poor crested girls. i'm wondering if we need a drake at all. We don't want any more ducks, and i'm thinking the girls might be happier without a large male chasing them down and jumping on them several times a day. Would appreciate any advice or input from other duck owners.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    The girls will be fine without a drake. They may hop onto each other, but that is about it. It also sounds like he is very young, because he is overly active. It may get better down the road. My drake has 8 girls and he is at it several time per day. He does not chase them down. The girls look good and are not missing to much on their heads or necks. I do not think that the drake is causing internal damage to your girls, but leg or joint damage is possible. Chasing down can be a sign of dominance, which mean he will jump on them but not performing the act. That is usually stressful to the hens and it can hurt them, since this usually occurs on land. I would say get a new home for the drake, if you don't want any babies anyway.

3. KMurphy

KMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Watch this drake very carefully!!!!!!!! I have recently lost three female pekins from my male Khaki Cambell and a male Cayuga. If the 6 month old ducks start to loose feathers you e to seperate them.
    [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've debated rehoming him. i like him, but it's disturbing watching the girls run for their lives as he chases them down. It doesn't look like he is always mating. He grabs their neck, pushes them down, gets on top and pushes their heads down - then will just get up. i do see that he actually mates when they're in the water. But it's distressing to watch him hold their heads under the water. And he has pulled a lot of feathers out of the white crested's heads. Had to use blu-kote on one as it looked so raw and sore.

It may be that he tweaked this runner's legs while mating in the pond. But she was sitting off by herself before that. i have her in the house in a 40 gallon rubbermaid bin and she looks like she doesn't feel so great. She is drinking water and eating a bit. Hope she will be okay.

Maybe i will find a new home for Mr. Lucky.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My runner is looking worse and can't stand up. i think it might be botulism. Going to post over in the Emergencies section and see what suggestions i can find.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i wanted to update here in case anyone comes back to check the thread. My runner who couldn't stand ended up laying and egg then standing up on her own after a while. But i continued to notice partially lame ducks and bald ducks with bloody heads. Decided to rehome my drake.

Since he's been gone, things are so calm here. No more lameness, no more bloody heads. My crested runners are getting their bouffant hair-do's back. i also notice they're quieter, and they are friendlier to me. So i think it was a very good idea getting rid of the trouble-maker.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  7. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Nothing better then a calm relaxed flock. You did the right thing. Some drakes are just to crazy and become to dominating.

8. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Glad to hear that all is well.

9. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, we had to get rid of a runner drake because the girls were looking ragged and worn down. Within hours of rehoming him they all perked up:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by