can a drake inpregnate a female chicken?

frizzleman74

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Fairfield County
im going to get drakes because they dont make as much noise but i was wondering if they can inpregnate hens because they're going to be in the coop with my chickens. Also is it ok to get 1 duck or should i get 2 drakes? thanks

My "baby" muscovies live in my chicken pen and while they all get along, the ducks don't really hang out with the chickens and vice versa. Now my silkie roo (who has his own self-esteem issues) has tried to mate the ducklings
roll.png

If you want quite ducks, muscovy girls are extremely quiet - only a bit of soft chortling when they are excited.
I kept my two muscovies in with six other chickens and they all got along but didn't really hang together, unless they were out of the pen. Be careful with just a single drake though (depending on the breed) I've heard stories that if they have no girl ducks they'll still try and mount chickens and although cant impregnate them or any of that, can hurt them

Not sure if it works the other way but we had a Scovy duck that sat a clutch of eggs after being bred by a roo....they were the only two of our flocks we had left and it just sort of happened that way. The babies never hatched but they were formed chicks/ducklings in the eggs....not fully grown and normal enough to hatch, of course.

Some drakes to mate hens and can cause prolapse in the hen. This usually means the hen has to be put down. They can also cause other injuries, if they are heavier then the hen.

Impregnate is the incorrect term...that only happens in mammals...

& Wow...I didn't know that chickens & ducks could produce fertile unhatchable eggs, learn somthin' new everyday!

If you can keep it alive, you can name the specie after yourself. It is a nice way to immortalize your name or family name forever.

It would be really interesting if a viable hybrid is possible because those two species are pretty far apart. They are designed so differently. Its the same reason why we can't breed with monkeys or birds. Then again, I might be wrong because new and interesting things might happen in the future.

Back
Top Bottom