Can a duck raise a chick???

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So, I have a broody duck and I hadn’t been able to see her clutch because she does the huffy thing. She’s been on her nest for several weeks and is very serious about it. Today I decided to test her because I wanted to see if there was a bite behind her bark. There was. She bit my boot. Lol. Anyways...when I glimpsed her clutch, I saw a chicken egg. Will this be an issue or can she raise it with the rest of her clutch?

She probably will but it can not turn out well for the chick when ducklings go swimming and chicken tries to follow and drowns. Got a broody hen?
Well we don’t have an area where they can swim swim, mostly wade. Still though. I had a broody hen but her eggs hatched back in mid may and she’s already left them to their own devices to which they’re following around another hen that looks like her. Luckily the hen doesn’t seem to mind. I do have a brooder so if need be, I can simply take it inside and raise it how I’ve raised all the others.

Chicken eggs hatch in 3 weeks, duck eggs in 4 weeks.
The chicken will hatch a week earlier than baby ducklings, unless that egg got added later.

The mother can't properly care for hatched babies while also sitting on eggs.

So you should be prepared to collect up any chicks that hatch early, or else have an incubator for the duck eggs if she comes off the nest to take care of the chick.
I’m pretty sure the egg was laid while the duck was getting water because it wasn’t always there so I dunno.

Chicken eggs hatch in 3 weeks, duck eggs in 4 weeks.
The chicken will hatch a week earlier than baby ducklings, unless that egg got added later.

The mother can't properly care for hatched babies while also sitting on eggs.

So you should be prepared to collect up any chicks that hatch early, or else have an incubator for the duck eggs if she comes off the nest to take care of the chick.

Back
Top Bottom