Can a female quail have a bib? School sorting need help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PQ, Mar 3, 2009.

1. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Do only males have bibs? We are trying to sort out quail that was hatched at school they are 4 weeks old and some are showing bibs some reddish breasts would these be the males? Have never had these types of quail, so I want to be at least half way sure of what we have.

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Are we talking button quail if so yes
    The only way to sex them is the vent feathers. Boys have shades of red vent feathers girls don't

3. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Sorry its Cortunix Quail, it is a mix. So there for making it hard to tell.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:All browns males and females have bibs please visit my byc page to see the pictures of how to sex dependingon what color you have. Red breasts on browns are males. Spotted breasts on browns are hens. Red breasts on goldens are roos, spotted breasks on goldens is hens, all other colors you have to wait until they crow and or lay eggs, unless you're good at vent sexing which is pretty challenging.

5. PQ

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you I cant wait to go up tomorrow and check these babies out again! And oh how I wish we got the tx a&m and the tuxs to hatch in our batch the box they came in looked as if it went through the food processer. Oh well we still have many pretty babies to try to sex tomorrow! I do have three up there I would like to take a picture of and maybe you can help with those???? [​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'd be happy to help [​IMG]

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

There pretty easy to sex once you know how - Post some pics. They do fool you sometimes though- I had one that looked like a female but turned out to be male- weird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by