Can a Golden Comet Hen Have Spurs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RhondaXYZ, Dec 21, 2013.

1. RhondaXYZ

RhondaXYZ New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Before you laugh too hard, I want you to know that I have had chickens for 20 years. A few months ago I got five golden comet hens. They are laying eggs and I believe they are about 1 1/2 years old. None have a tail curling down. None have long neck feathers. No combs to speak of. None crow. But one has long spurs! Is this possible?!
    I prefer you email answers to me at LadyWritr2 which is an aol extension. Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a Barred Rock hen that had spurs, about 3/4" long spurs. She was a good layer.

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    We have two hens with spurs, though the Wellsummer only has one. Weird.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It isn't very common, but it is possible for hens to have spurs. It usually ocurrs in game breeds, though, or in older, dominant hens. I've never had a hen with spurs, but I've seen several birds that have.

5. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Thank goodness.....thought I was going nuts! :p
    Was outside today checking the girls out and noticed my Welsummer hen, Kip who is about 18 months old has spurs....she definitely is a girl and no crowing....never realized that could happen.
    Leave it to you guys to know everything....thanks again! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by