Can a goose drown?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Arwen, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    I know that may seem like a silly question, but Josephine is doing the strangest thing in the tub. She is flipping over and then can't flip back up! I'm always right there when she's in the tub so it's not been a problem but I think her angel wing is preventing her from righting herself.

It's scaring me a bit. I want to alert her new family to this so they can keep an eye on her when she's on the pond. I also think the confinement of the tub is causing this as well.

Has anyone ever run into this?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Angelwing causes many problems including rendering birds flightless, so it would stand to reason that the wings are too weak/deformed to allow for normal maneuvering in the water as well. Poor bird. She has a lot going against her. Good luck with her.

3. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:I will make sure her new family knows. They are so excited about this. Her new pen is all ready for her. [​IMG] I wonder if she needs water wings! [​IMG]

4. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Our goose has done the same thing in the tub before now and he doesn't have angelwing so I think you're probably closer to the mark on the lack of room.
    They need to spread their wings out to right themselves and the sides of the tub prevent this!
    He's done it in the pool outside and been fine!

5. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Thank you very much! I guess being a new goose mom (and only temporary, sigh) I'm a bit anxious.

6. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Don't worry I know exactly how you feel, Jack's nearly a year old now and I still worry about him!
    [​IMG]

7. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Oh he's so pretty!
    I have some videos of Josephine on Youtube. If you search for Arwen61, you should find them. I also posted them on the thread "New pet goose in Texas."

8. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Here is Josephine and I this past Sunday.

[​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Are they both Brown Chinese? They're SO beautiful! [​IMG]

One of my little babies is having leg problems, bowlegged & a slipping tendon...what i wouldnt give for his problem to just be angel wing (if he MUST have one anyway)... Seems like everytime i wrap his leg since the first time i starts to swell, no matter how loose it is. I might have to talk to my vet about it soon. [​IMG]

10. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Oh I feel for you. I used to raise budgies and cockatiels. It's awful when they have something like that and you just don't know what to do for it. [​IMG] Good luck with your baby.

Yes, Josephine is a Brown Chinese. I would assume Jack is as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by