can a halk kill a full grown chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Berynn, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I lost two, two monthold chicks to a halk. Can a halk kill a full grown chicken?:[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    YES

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  4. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    I lost a full grown chicken to hawk I wasted no time in covering my run. I don't ever want to see that agian!

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    This is my first time having chickens. So far I lost one tw day old chick, the second day I had it, then I lost one last week I thought that my lab got it. but now I'm not that sure. and I lost two yesterday.
    The mistake that I am making is wanting them to have more freedom. I have a great coop and it is fenced in with 3/4 inch chicken wire. We like to play with them in the yard. I have two that are maybe six months old. I let them roam. and at night they go back to their coop. Is that a bad idea. I will never let my babies free range again. They are two months old now. I am just uncertain about the six month old hens. The man at the feed store told me that hawlks usually wont take a full grown hen. Is that true:old

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Chicken wire is going to do nothing to stop anything from getting in. I recommend 1x2 welded wire fencing at least 5 feet high (so you can go in without stooping much) reinforced with 1/2 inch hardware cloth up to 2 or 3 feet. and cover your run.

The man at the feed store told me that hawlks usually wont take a full grown hen. Is that true

No, it is not true.​

7. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to write chicken wire I meant to write 3/4 inch chicken fence, some one on this site also said to use shiny abjects that hawks don't like shiny stiff, today I am going to put aluminum pie pans around the top of the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by