Can a handicapped bantam live with another chicken? Shes so lonely

hicken Newbie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
My little chicken Becky is very friendly bantam, i thing OEG hen and has been alone for all of her life. The person i adopted her from had experience with chickens, but had no idea how to care for her. As a chick she developed an unusable twisted leg and was not bought like the rest of her siblings because of her disablility. So she took her home and put her with her 3 standard roosters. Well of course they nearly killed her, especially because she couldnt get away from them. So she kept her in an indoor cage, a very small one, with dirty newspapers to keep her "safe". She told me not to put her with other chickens because she would be picked on and told me the story of when she put her with the roosters. Im pretty sure ANY hen would be ravaged if they are solo with 3 large roosters, plus she is tiny.

So i was wondering if she would get along with another bantam hen, just to keep her company. I know silkies are said to be really friendly with people, so would they get along with a helpless chicken (plus i just love silkies
lol.png
) Or maybe i could get a really small breed like a serama hen so she would have a small advantage in size. She has a coop/run that would house probably fit up to 3 or 4 bantams comfortably What do you guys think i should do? leave her solo or get her a little buddy? Thanks for any opinions
smile.png

heres a pic of her
95441_014.jpg

Last edited:
She looks like my bantams I raise. She looks to be a BB Red, they are great birds! But mine are VERY social (Like any chicken) if I take one their flock members they go crazy!

So maybe it would be nice for her to have a friend. I raised a BB Red chick that had lost her brother 5 days after hatching and she is doing just fine with her own little roo.
lol.png

Took her a while to realize she was chicken though!
lol.png

I too have a handicapped bantam roo. He has been brought up with a little group of four girls and they really look after each other. I think as long as you introduce them carefully (plenty of opportunities to see each other without actual contact) and also make sure that she doesn't miss out on food, they will be fine. My vet said my little roo wouldn't survive in a big flock but should be fine with these girls. Good luck!

I was reading your post and was going to recommend putting her with a silkie, and then YOU said you were considering a silkie.

Silkies are just about the most laid-back chickens!!!!!!

I can put chicks in with silkies at an earlier age than I can other breeds. Because they don't really mind!!! Very sweet chickens they are. Now I have had silkies that were more aggressive, so each individual has it's own personality. You would have to just try it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom