1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a hawk bite or claw through hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by roz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    We have our 10 girls in a large fully enclosed run with 1/4 inch hardware cloth all around and under the roof on top. We have a hawk in the field behind us that has shown up a few times since we got them this summer, and it is the last two encounters that have me worried. The first encounter, I looked out the window because I heard all of the chickens talking really loudly, and I thought one of them had gotten out and was walking around the outside of the run until I realized it was the hawk. Then today, I was looking out the window and it looked like the hawk made a crash landing against the run...like it didnt see the hardware cloth until it was too late. My poor chickies were so scared they wouldnt come out of the coop (which is fully enclosed in the run) for a good 45 minutes. My husband is convinced that we have fort knox built for a run, but I'm getting worried. The weather is getting colder, I'm sure food sources for predators is diminishing. I am shocked at how persistent the hawk is being and now I'm nervous it will break in.

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Can a hawk bite or claw through hardware cloth?

No.​

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Nope its way to strong for them I wouldent worry.

4. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    No way - even raccoons and bigger dogs can't get through that stuff (1/2" square, welded wire). Edges need to be held down securely, though -- if they can pull up/out a free edge, they can still get in.

5. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I have an apron of hardware cloth coming out all around the bottom of the coop with stakes holding that into the ground, and you can barely see it anymore with the grass having grown over it. I dont know if it is welded wire though. We got it from Lowes. It is hardware cloth, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a distinction between the two. All these horror stories I read on BYC about predators gets me a little worried.

6. baldessariclan

baldessariclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    If it's held down pretty tight, shouldn't be an issue. Try giving those edges a few tugs -- if you'd have a hard time pulling it out yourself, doubt that any predator smaller than a bear would have much luck. If it can be pulled up/out easily, though, you may want to come up with a way to secrue those edges a little better when you get the chance. We definitely have raccoons and possums roaming around our area at night, but coop is pretty secure and no problems so far -- doubt you'll have them either if you keep everything tight/strong.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2!

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    May e a bigger dog or a bear but definitely not a hawk [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use chicken wire but I also have hot electrical wire to keep the 4 legged critters out. When they touch that hot wire, they don't come back for more. I have crows. If a hawk is in the area the crows will drive it away. Here is a pic of a Bald Eagle that got a Rabbit and a Red Tailed Hawk on the fence post. Don't know why the pic is so small. There was another Bald Eagle but it flew off as I snaped the pic. I think I have a blurry pic of both Eagles.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:No.

Agree, their talons aren't designed for this kind of work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by