can a hawk carry off a fully grown chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by missourichickenmama, Aug 28, 2008.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    ...self explanatory...

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I almost found out today! WHEW!~ It was close...but he did try! I think it depends on the size...I think a chicken hawk would be able to. A regular hawk...no I don't think it could.

3. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I would be suprised if a red tailed hawk wouldn't be able to. I have seen them take some pretty large rabbits.

4. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    we have red tails around here! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    If it was something that happened regularly, there would be a lot less yorkies and poodles in the world. [​IMG] While the red tailed hawk and the large Western hawks probably could do it, they usually kill and eat large prey on the ground. They are too shy to do this around human habitation, usually. Which is why you don't hear constant stories about domestic cats and dogs being killed by hawks.

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup they sure can i have witnessed it. the man that used to live across from us had several birds taken by flight over the 3 years we lived across from him once saw one eating one of them on top of the power pole by our house after it was taken from his yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by